Sunday, April 11, 2010

Assignment 5 (Fighting Climate Change) - Processes

For this assignment, we are supposed to come up with an infograph about the theme of fighting climate change. The first thing that came to my mind was to show an Earth on fire but I think that it's rather common.

My inspiration came when I was watching the discovery channel talking about the logging industry. This sparked me to do an infograph related to trees.

I finally settled on the idea of planting trees because I feel that paper is an essential object in our everyday lives and there is only so much we can save and trees will still cut down. Planting trees would be a great alternative to increase the number of trees.

Here are my initial sketches.

i tried to do my design on a 3x3 grid layout. However when i digitized it it look like a 4x3 layout.

Digitized:

I actually got feedback that the font is rather difficult to read. I wanted to choose a font that shows a medieval feel, matching the battle hats and shields of the trees. But I think I better change it.

Another point is that the tree fighting noise pollution has not much connection with the building.

There's another possibility of a vertical layout too. so i went on to try...

vertical version:


I actually preferred this version. The different level represents different aspects of what trees can do to protect the Earth.

I also deleted one car as having 2 cars is redundant.

I added in more trees at the top to suggest that trees produce oxygen.

Also I enlarged the shield of the warrior to suggest that it is blocking off urban noises.

This final design is done on a 3x4 grid.

No comments: