Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Assignment 1 (Me, Myself and I) - Processes

For assignment 1, my task is to integrate my name into a design. I listed down the things I like or dislike, and also what I like to do. Some of which are: love to eat (corn, fish), ghost movies, sleeping, hate global warming, etc.

I drew some random sketches, such as the globe. I used my name and made them into islands. I then tried to draw the globe engulfed in smoke but then it would cover my name. So i just left it first.

Next to it is a drawing of a corn. I tried to draw those corn kernels, which made up my name, to look like they are eaten. But it looks kind of messy there. pardon my drawing =/
Below is a drawing related to what i love to do! SLEEP. I played around with different sleeping positions. I had no problem with T-I-N but I was having a hard time with coming up a sleeping position for G.

Then I went on to draw some horror stuffs. I enjoy watching horror movies, but I'm scared of ghosts. RED ghosts. contradicting huh. I drew a cross representing "t", then a female ghost for "i", a stone memorial for "n" and a girl hanging from a tree dead as a "g". I drew it this way is because I am having an ULTRA HUGE ulcer and it makes me feel like killing myself. so the girl killed herself and turned into a ghost, awaiting to revenge ULCER.

So.. here's my initial sketch :)

I went on to try to draw different designs for each of the letters. Here's the T.


Here's the I. i designed my own plant! one horror version and one fantansy version. then I tried to draw a windmill... nah. doesn't even look close to the real thing.


Here's the N. I drew a honey house with biscuit windows. It turned out to be quite delicious. and then there's the half-eaten donut which looks like a magnet -.-"


Here's the g. I played around with the shape of the tree trunk. I also tried to draw a chocolate pool (because i love chocolates) but it didn't look like one.

Basically by the end of this stage I kind of already made up my mind of what to draw. It would be either my own fantasy world, or a horror world. 2 opposite ends :) So i tried to experiment further with what my drawing could look like... I drew the ice-cream mountains with the vanilla rain (wanted it to look like an "i" with the sun but it turned out not to look like).

For the horror side I want to include those dark figures wearing dark robes in horror/evil movies so I tried to draw one. I learnt it from a website. but my version looks too un-scary.


So I developed 3 roughs from all the ideas I got from the sketches.

#1: Stop global warming. "Ting" actually sounds exactly like "Stop" in chinese. So the meaning in this design is to ask people to STOP GLOBAL WARMING. I shaded the 2 more serious factors which contribute to this GW (the car and meat factory). Logging is also a problem which leads to GW. The tiny tree in the right bottom suggest that we should grow more trees and save our Earth! I have to work on the silhouette of the factory because it doesn't suggest a factory at all. If the pig and cow heads weren't there, my friends had a hard time guessing what that silhouette was representing.


#2: Living in my own world. I always dream about living in this fantasy land made out of food.. almost similar to the animation "cloudie with a chance of meatballs". I drew some mushroom trees (T), the tall grass with a flower lamp (i) , honey-choco house (N) and candy floss tree (g). I'm going to improve on the layout, because I feel that the right section looks too cramped. I also need to work out the colours as the honey-chocolate house and the tree trunk has the same colour, and it might make the picture look unbalanced.


Last but not least,
#3: Evil side. I changed a little from my initial sketch. I drew a tombstone with a cross on top (t), a grim reaper holding a weapon (i), normal tombstone with a hole (n) and a moon with a long stretch of road for (g). I took away the person hanging down because I think after a while it looks kind of disturbing.


I realised that I had quite a number of drawings relating to evil or ghosts. I can explain that this is because of my ULCER. The ULCER is like a persistent ghost who wouldn't leave you alone until you call upon a ghost buster (SALT) to chase this ghost (ULCER) away.

Ok back to the topic. I think that I have learnt quite many things from this assignment, in terms of drawing, and also the development of ideas from very basic sketches. I feel that some times I would get stuck and have very limited ideas of what to draw or design. However, everytime I doodle something, something new would pop into my mind.

Although this sounds good, but it can be a hindrance too in the sense that because new ideas keep appearing, i tend to be fickle in terms of choosing the final design.

By sketching, I have also learnt that I will not know if I can draw a particular thing unless I try. Sometimes I could not get the picture that I want and did not look like the thing I'm trying to draw at all. But after changing lines and there and redoing the drawings, the pictures I draw look more reasonable.

I hope that I can complete my piece of work (the digitised version) because I am still not very used to using illustrator pen. I'm still practicing, and I hope my work will turn out successful.

No comments: